Replatforming enterprise Logistics / ERP / Sales / Accounting System to .NET – End-to-End
- VB 5 Desktop Application
- Oracle 8i
- UI elements were being directly referred in the Business Layer resulting in difficulty in conversion to .NET as certain controls in the UI are not easy to convert.
- The objects generated as result of Existing Data Access Layer were not thread safe.
- The business logic was not very well consolidated.
- Existing architecture lacked support for SOA, flexibility and extensibility
- Typical Challenges of Desktop Application (Navigation, Dedicated DB Connections, Application Distribution)
- Licensing issues due to Citrix.
- Deployment issues to multiple client installation.
Re-Platform Key Objectives:
- N-tier web based application using .NET technology
- WEB farm using IIS6.0
- SOA based architecture.
- Web Services for integration with external systems
- Framework based on MVC Architecture
- Dynamic Page generation capability
- Dynamic invocation of business layer. (Developer would just Code the business layer and configure the hooking through XML).
- Making Maximum use of Existing Code.
- Add functionality without Framework Recompile!
- A Flexible Validation framework
- Flexibility to Add Smart Clients.
- Separation of Database Specific API from the .NET Code
- Reusable Component Based Architecture
Impacted Business Lines:
Number of Users
Number of Concurrent Users
24 Months (in progress)
Existing Application Line of Code